November 11, 2009

Slowly slowly


I might get these Marauders done within the week yet. I have three finished of twelve at least. I had to experiment with the colours a little as I wasn't sure how they would all go together. I can really see how rusty (and possibly lazy) I have become in regards to painting. My transitions in the blends are poor and I really need to work out how I used to do them. It probably just means a bit more time and effort invested per model. While these are gaming models I still want them to come out as best as possible. Most of the problems emerged on the trousers. The stark transitions I managed were not what I wanted. A glaze brought them back into realms of normality at least. Then the highlight over the scorched brown for the belts and straps are far to subtle. A problem I also have to keep in mind is the beards. The colurs on them can easily look similar to the other browns I am using. At least with these three guys I can keep the beards quite red and not worry. On the others they may start to blend in too much.

The cloaks came out quite well despite the sculpting! I can really tell the difference between the professional sculpts and my attempts. I think the transitions from a darker centre to the much lighter sides need a better method. These are okay but the way I did the fur makes it difficult. Thankfully I know I have sculpted the fur for the other regiments much better so hopefully it is easier and nicer to paint. I still have to sculpt the cloaks for the knights and characters. I have been avoiding that as it can get fairly monotonous!

Progress on Crom has begun. I don't really know why I have begun to paint him at all. I don't intend really using him. Any of the lists I have made never includes a hero on foot. Maybe I can use him as a champion in a warriors regiment? The idea for a Battle Standard is gone, well at least with using this model. I don't like the angles on the joints of the arms as it means he is holding the standard at a strange almost unnatural angle. I think I will keep on the lookout for a suitable mounted version, as not only is it better in games terms but gives a chance for a more dynamic model.

3 comments:

  1. Well - slowley - but good work: eyes and bases!

    Kind Regards from Germany,

    Yitu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really like how your mauraders turned out. They are so much better than the standard GW models.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see your Marauders progress.
    The cloaks really adds a lot of character to them, and you've done a very good job with the detailing of their eyes.
    If you're afraid of getting too much brown, with brown beards, you could try a blonde/straw-coloured beard/hair for them.

    Kuffeh got a nice tutorial on that over at his blog, www.thegrumpystunty.blogspot.com/2009/09/blonde-hair.html (hope I managed to type it off right..)

    Crom's also looking very nice, with that conversion work you did, he's become an even greater model. I don't know if it is possible to remove him from the base and put him on a chariot, if you'd rather have him moving about a bit faster? Either way, he's a nice piece for display, at least if you continue the great paint job you've done so far. And there's always the "job" as a chamion of a regular regiment - eventually as part of a unit of Chosen, if you plan on including some of those? Just some suggestions tossed into the air, heh. Looking forward to the finished model!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Me

Friends