December 16, 2013

Necrotic Machine

I picked up the Necrotic Machine from e-bay a few days ago and I was eager to get it painted. I had seen a really awesome example of sponged metal and I knew instantly I had to try it. I don't really get to paint many all metal models or at least predominantly metal models so I had to settle for experimenting with this guy. Basically the technique layers the metal and weathering coats alternatively on top of each other with a sponge giving a very strongly mottled effect. It was fairly simple to do though I think it would look better on a larger model with flatter surfaces. I think it could be great for me on something like metal rooves I do for some of my Warmachine, and possible upcoming Malifaux, terrain. It gives a really different effect when compared with the pigment based weathering.

I used Mithril Silver (GW) and Chainmail (GW). For the rust I used a Vajello paint whose name has worn off the bottle. I guess it is something akin to Vermin Fur. These were just repeatedly sponged randomly over each other with some torn blister package sponge. After that I washed them down a little to darken the effect. This is the result. I kept the skin really pale to contrast the dark metals. It really stands out now. Also I painted the syringe vials a yellow colour. I hate painting these sort of things. I can never get it to look right. These came out fine.

I have been using Molly Squidpidge recently on Vassal and I really like her. I am still a complete beginner with regard to Malifaux but I think I picked the right faction. The summoning mechanics are well balanced allowing me now to feel like I can achieve some summoning. Before I always felt like it was a bit of a hit and miss as you basically had to have the right card in your hand. It is a lot more difficult to summon the bigger models now but that feels right for the game. I am hoping to get another game in on Tuesday. I am looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Friends