January 25, 2011

It only takes a few years...

This unit was started years ago. I can't really be sure why I never finished them. I think the fact that they were worth so little points was a contributing factor. I really hate painting miniatures that are just fodder. The worst ever was my chaos hounds. Their only task is to run in front of something and then run away. If they managed that then they were points well spent. At least these Zealots pack some punch. Its just hard to find that sweetspot where they can use their weapons (holy hand grenades) without being engaged first. I really like the models even though they are not perfect. Some of the sculpting decisions were not great. However the models are simple which is good. Normally all miniatures are cluttered with far to much detail. These are not and that makes them nice and easy to paint effectively. I do have to finish some of the bases off with reeds and water but as I can't find a good gloss varnish here in Hamburg I can't do that just yet. Its a pretty boring task and is better to do in a huge batch. I just need to get a monolith bearer done to accompany them and I will be happy. I am not sure if it is worth bring the second unit I have up to a full ten man unit. The problem being matching that paint scheme will be far harder as they were done when the zealots first became available.... back in the depths of time! My painting is quite different now. Using that many in one game would be fun but I don't know if my opponent would think the same thing!

Tomorrow will be my second game in the annihalation campaign. I am eagerly looking forward to it despite my loss in the first round. At least I feel like I caused enough casualties to cause my opponent to worry. Now if I can do that in the second game I am going to be set for the third and fourth! The full eighty point list is as follows, it exludes bonus points for 'jacks:

Feora, Priestess of the Flame
Hierarch Severius
2 x Repenter
Revenger
Templar
Vanquisher
2 x Choir of Menoth (Leader and 5 Grunts)
2 x Deliverer Sunburst Crew (Leader and 2 Grunts)
2 x Holy Zealots (Leader and 9 Grunts)
Holy Zealot Monolith Bearer
2 x Temple Flameguard (Leader and 9 Grunts)
Temple Flameguard Officer & Standard
The Wrack (3 wracks)
3x Vassal Mechaniks

My casualties were not to heavy amongst the infantry but my 'jacks suffered badly with only a repenter surviving from the three 'jacks fielded. I will still be able to field a decent amount of shooting this time and I intend to make good use of it in whittling down the remaining infantry the Khadorans can call upon. Taking out enough of the Iron Fang Pikemen from the final unit would cripple the Khadorans. The interesting thing about the campaign is that you need to protect your resources but you are forced to commit them making combats so risky. So bad rolls and bad decisions really mean you can be crippled in the upcoming games.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Friends