August 1, 2011

Avatar Shield

I always wonder why when it comes to the end of an evening I find my inspiration and motivation to paint! Really I spent the whole day yesterday doing some boring painting because I wasn't motivated. I took up some shields of my Dwarves and started doing them. I am a pretty lazy painter at times and I didn't bother doing the shields for my rangers originally. So now I am playing catch up. The shields are on the Dwarves backs so you can't really see them when ranked up. So due to my low motivation I decided to struggle through and get these done. Then by the end of the evening as I was slowly starting to get into the mood for painting I pulled out my new Knights Exemplar and got them undercoated, despite an annoying airbrush. I also got out some Warcasters, Kreoss and Severius, to paint. These got undercoated and hopefully over the coming weeks I can have a challenge to get five Warcasters done in five days... Finally as I was readying to finish I deecided to start on the Avatar or at least his shield. As you may have noticed I got a miscast shield. The top left corner is damaged. I actually like it as I want some battle damage. I haven't painted that area yet as I want the shield mounted befoe I do. However I got everything else done and I am pretty happy with that. There are a few areas I could make some improvements. I would like to have some 'dirt' collected under the rivets along the bottom of the shield. Anyway for now at least this part of the Avatar is done! Now I just need to sit and get the rest done too!

Here are the Dwarf shields I have been doing. I need about forty with the flying hammer design on them. I found a box of used sprues yesterday that should have enough for me to do the complete regiment with the same shield designs. I may be a few short. I generally try to keep the same shields throughout the regiment as I guess a lot of people do. I think it improves the regimented nature of the army and identifies each unit. I am not sure why I am painting Dwarves at the moment. Some warmachine crew were even painted over the weekend. Maybe my fingers are itching for a game of Warhammer sometime. Well it will be nice to have everything ready if the new book comes out anytime soon.

2 comments:

About Me

Friends