February 7, 2013

More Danes

I am really not enjoying painting these anymore. I don't know if I have caught the chaos bug but I seem to be more motivated to paint them than these models. I think it comes down to the shields. The freehand rapidly becomes annoying. I skipped it on the last six and I only did a few of these shields before I gave up. I just want to get these finished. I have at least managed to get a few games in of SAGA. They were excellent and the Jomsvikings really proved to be tough. I rolled over my opponent twice when I used them. The Aanglo-saxons are much harder to play with but they are fun!

The game is quite interesting but really different from anything I have played before. I have had three different opponents on the tabletop and they all have struggled to play. Every turn despite what may be best they load up their abilities section of the battleboard and then have almost nothing to activate. The army stalls close to where it deployed and I am able to swarm all around them. I think new players focus far too much on the abilities and forget that they need to manouver just like in any other game. I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience when teaching others?

6 comments:

  1. That sounds similar to my experience. The figures quickly become very boring to paint, though I actually enjoyed the shields rather than the men.

    Playing the game is a joy. The rules are easy to learn, but there are so many tough choices to make in game. Throw in the scenarios and each encounter requires fresh thinking. The vikings seem easier to play with than the Anglo Saxons, the latter require numbers and I just could not face adding any more to my painting list! Most of mine will be drafted into a Dane army I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I am approaching the end of the historical models. They are fine but I need to do something else. I did spot Deus Vult (?) foot sergeants yesterday and they got me thinking about a Norman army... I must resist!

      Delete
    2. I picked up a box of the FireForge Deus Vult foot sergeants, and OH MY, they are fine looking highly detailed minis.

      Delete
    3. They really are excellent, if only the cavalry were more Norman in style I wouldn't be able to resist!

      Delete
  2. The look nice. I look forward to playing the games. I've quite enjoyed painting the plastic Hirdmen, good detail on them, I'll have over hundred done probably in three more weeks. After I think I will move onto to Fireforge minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a fairly blistring pace, I thought I was doing well since New Years but I am eating your dirt it seems!

      Delete

About Me

Friends